Top 20 Bands: Honourable Mentions
Before I move into the Top 10 of my Top 20 Bands, I feel the need to mention ten significant bands that might have been part of my ‘cut’ at various points in recent history, but just didn’t make it into my Top 20 this time around. (Perhaps this could be seen as my ’21-30′.)
- Frightened Rabbit – Let’s see how the whole longevity thing plays out – the first two records have been a steady improvement from ‘incredible’ to ‘phenomenal’.
- Pedro the Lion/David Bazan – Excellent songwriting, but albums are often incoherent with themselves.
- Cass McCombs – There’s a quality to Cass McCombs that convinces me he’s one of the greatest living songwriters.
- Starflyer 59 – Something’s absent on most of their recent material…
- Grizzly Bear – Also needing a bit of longevity – It feels strange to consider Grizzly Bear one of my favourite bands, but they most certainly are.
- Deerhunter – Let’s hope they keep up this steam…
- Brian Eno – Mostly hit, but sometimes miss.
- Camera Obscura – There’s something to this group that keeps me listening, but I am hoping for something to make them stand out.
- Cursive – Maybe it’s because they still haven’t grown up?
- Curl Up & Die – I wish they had made more material before disbanding.
Perhaps you are thinking, ‘Who can beat the bands above along with Spiritualized, The Kinks, The Velvet Underground, Tom Waits, The Beach Boys, The Beatles and Neil Young?’ I hope not to disappoint, but prepare to find out just how bad my taste actually is in the coming week…